Thursday, October 25, 2012


My students, in creating their digital storytelling project, will tell a story about how people looked at and dealt with World War II, specifically the Home Front (what life was like in America).  This is a 11th-12th grade project, and will be created while we are covering the World War II time period.  We will be usint the free account, so we will be able to embed video, and will be audio in the form of voice or music of the era, and pictures taken in that era to enhance the text.

The web resources that the students will be using is the Prezi learn tutorials, as well as websites about the home front era, such as http://www.history.com/topics/us-home-front-during-world-war-ii from the History.com website.  other resources will include the textbook and lectures, but the students will be encouraged to search for other resources based on their subject choice of the era.  I would also have them access http://www.archives.gov/ for other resouces of pictures, video, and audio from that era.

I think that I would need to create an online resource of video, audio, and pictures from that era that I glean myself from their resources, so they can not only download and use these from my site, but will also serve as an example of what they can look for.

In making this Prezi, I hope that my students will learn something extra about what AMerica went through during World War II, and how it impacted their daily lives.

2 comments:

  1. Anthony, I wanted to let you know that the statement that hit me the most in your posting was "I hope that my students will learn something extra about what AMerica went through during World War II, and how it impacted their daily lives." I really feel that this is such an important objective for our students to understand, and by researching and really engaging your students in digital storytelling, they will be impacted MORE than just reading about World War II in a textbook. I believe they will really be able to see the "human" side of the war, which will result in a greater understanding and retention of those events.

    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your project sounds very interesting. I have a personal interest in WWII...I am not personally linked, but I just find the facts and stories to be fascinating.

    I definitely think you will want to capture short video clips and images of your own to show and share with your class before you begin. I would even create 2 or 3 samples to use as models. Once students see what you are looking for they will be more apt to perform at or above expectation.

    Did you have any other specific platforms in mind? Other than Prezi? By the way, the tutorial video you listed will be a great help to your students.

    I am asking all of my classmates this question:


    How much time should content area teachers spend teaching students how to use programs like Prezi or other digital storytelling platforms? I mean, in a time when we are given more content to cover and fewer hours/days to deliver it...can we afford to spend time showing students (those who do not understand) how to use the digital platforms? Or better yet, can we afford to NOT teach them?

    ReplyDelete